Know Your Trainer

Within in the UK fitness & leisure industry there are two governing bodies that validate training providers and their educational courses. After attending educational courses and completing the required assessments most Personal Trainers register their qualifications with the Register of Exercise Professionals (REPs) or more recently the Chartered Institute for the Management of Sport and Physical Activity (CIMSPA).

There is no requirement for a Personal Trainer to register with REPs or CIMSPA. A Personal Trainer may hold recognised qualifications that have been obtained through training providers endorsed by REPs or CIMSPA. It is advised that you verify their qualifications and importantly that they hold valid public liability insurance before you agree to use the services of any Personal Trainer whether they are registered with a governing body or not.

“Can Personal Trainers help with medical conditions?”

Many Personal Trainers have specialist qualifications to work with people with a variety of medical conditions such as: Obesity, Asthma, Hypertension, Diabetes, Osteoporosis, Arthritis, Osteoarthritis & Rheumatoid Arthritis, Multiple Sclerosis, Cardiac Rehab, Joint injury Rehab, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Cancer & Mental Health.

Exercise is the remedy for so many health conditions and Personal Trainers have the knowledge to facilitate changes in health, but some medical conditions do require a certain level of knowledge and qualification.

If you have medical conditions it is important to consult your GP before starting a new exercise regime as it may require changes to prescribed medications. You must inform your Personal Trainer about medication and changes in medication; you need to know your trainer, but they also need to know about you. In some cases a Personal Trainer may ask for your GP to confirm that you are safe to exercise.

If you have an injury that you are looking to rehabilitate you may require the services of a Physiotherapist or Osteopath before you need the services of a Personal Trainer.

Know you have the right Trainer

1. Check your Personal Trainer has the qualifications and therefore the knowledge

If they are registered on REPs or CIMSPA you can check their registration status. If not registered with a governing body the Personal Trainer should have certificates awarded by training providers for completing training courses; you could ask to see these certificates.

2. Check your Personal Trainer has Public Liability Insurance

If your Personal Trainer works for a gym chain they will most likely be covered by the leisure providers insurance for services performed on the premises. Freelance Personal Trainers providing fitness services in parks and homes must have Public Liability Insurance; you should confirm your Personal Trainer has insurance cover.

3. Check with your GP if you have medical conditions

Keep your GP in the loop if you use any medication and want to change your lifestyle. Your GP will probably be happy if you are considering increasing your activity levels and can advise you about any potential side affects or potential changes in medication.

Before you start using the services of a Personal Trainer make sure you Know Your Trainer.

Personal Trainers listed on WorkoutWith control their own profiles and display the qualifications and specialisations they hold, you should confirm they are suitably qualified and insured before using their services.

UK Personal Trainer? Create profile

Like what we do at WorkoutWith? Check us out on